Thursday, May 2, 2013

Simplicity of Boxing Revealed

When it comes to boxing there are different levels of participants.  There are those who compete at high levels of competition and those who like to hit the bag for exercise or just to punch something.  But boxing is not as complicated as many people think.




Boxing is a well suited activity for those that don't want to be competitors.  To be good at boxing a participant only needs a few basic things.  They need to be strong, grounded and be able to deliver basic punches effectively and develop great head movement.  In Boxing what one needs to be able to defend against and the ways in which one is legally allowed to strike is very limited.  You don't need a good ground game like someone in the UFC and you don't need good high-kicks like a Tae-kwon-do guy.  You need four great punches and a solid defense.


Travis Simms
Boxing is more simple that what people think.  If you are training to make boxing as a career, yes we understand you have to throw punches, you have to jump rope, you have to hit the speed bag and train the way a boxer trains.  But really, boxing is not overly complicated.

One of the ways I created such a big name in the past and over many many years is that people would hesitate and then they were done in seconds of being close to me or stepping into the ring with me.  Why?  Because it is not that complicated.  Create good hips, use your pelvis properly.  Good head movement.

Getting into it, if you are a boxer, and you are getting ready to do a fight in the top 10.  That doesn't mean that you can go for 10 rounds all the time.  While you are in the camp you are good.  You can go for 10 rounds. And then you can fight because you never get tired.  What about when you are not fighting?


That same championship fighter becomes identical to another guy who can box and is not a competitor but trains regularly, which brings the point as to why so many of my guys would hurt so many people.  Lou Petrillo for example.  Travis Simms (see above) is another one.  Lou Petrillo was training here recreationally with me, with Calasnaz, he would end up stepping into the ring several times for me.  But one particular time he stepped up to box with a guy training to go pro.  10 seconds into the fight the guy gets hurt.  Lou Petrillo brought him down.  How?  Because he was doing recreational boxing and creating power.  I told my guys this, my boxers.  "If you don't expect to step in the ring, this is how you box."  I would give them about 15 simple techniques to practice and some exercises to make them 20 -30 - 40% more powerful than the opponent. You would be surprised the damage that they could do.  Taking a punch from one of my guys is not the same as from someone else.



Keep in mind.  When I was younger I was 139.  I would step into the ring with a guy 180 pounds.  But because of my system and my training I was capable of generating incredible amounts of power on my smaller frame many times over that of my opponents.  People used to ask me, "What happens if you and Mike Tyson square off in the ring?"

Mike Tyson was a boxer.  I was not a boxer, still I am not.  I was one of the first guys to teach MMA.  It is easier to win.  To win a fight in a sport,  is not the same thing as winning a fight on the street.  That is the lesson that a lot of people, a lot of boxers got after the UFC came along.  To see a guy training for the UFC attack you, this is not today what used to be kyokoshinkai.  Kyokoshinkai was a brutal karate that just got so incredible, it was so beyond and very far, far out there.  The training was probably harder and more intense than training for the UFC today.  They would take kicks, take punches, I mean they would and could really take hits.  But those people couldn't survive today because they don't protect the head.  When it comes to the UFC we are now talking about something else, we are talking about a real gladiator coming at you.  This is no longer a game.

I was the guy who used to say, "I don't care, I believe that I can survive against anyone."  For many years I would say it.  But today I hesitate on saying that.  What about the guy who is ready to step into the octagon?  That is a guy with incredible physique and practiced technique and everything.  That changes the point.  Now, the same guy not training again changes the point.  But that's what I wanted to explain about boxing.  That boxing is not as complicated as people believe.

Okay, people say, "I want to learn all these techniques, how to move the head, all these punches, how to slip punches." all of that, and whatever else.  Look, to learn how to slip punches and move away, that takes time and training to master.  To do recreational, to cover up, to look good, make sure you are very loose, and to deliver the finishing blow, the one technique that when
you hit someone, they will go down.  That is not too complicated, that is simple.

That is Boxing here with Calasanz.  That is the Calasanz System.




By Calasanz
Edited by: A.W.

No comments: